Juddmonte Farms' homebred Hidden Scroll, an impressive winner of his lone career start Jan. 26, drew Post 7 and was installed as the 9-5 program favorite for Saturday's $400,000 Xpressbet.com Fountain of Youth (G2) at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, Fla.
The 73rd running of the 1 1/16-mile Fountain of Youth for 3-year-olds, the final step on the road to the $1 million Xpressbet.com Florida Derby (G1) March 30, attracted a field of 11 sophomores. It is carded 13th on a blockbuster 14-race program featuring nine graded-stakes worth $1.65 million in purses.
First race post time Saturday is 11:30 a.m. ET. Post time for the Fountain of Youth is set for 5:32 p.m.
Hidden Scroll, a Hard Spun colt trained by Hall of Famer Bill Mott, made his career debut on the undercard of the $16-million Pegasus World Cup Invitational Championship Invitational at Gulfstream, going gate to wire to win the one-mile maiden special weight by 14 lengths in 1:34.82 over a sloppy, sealed track.
To be ridden by Joel Rosario, Hidden Scroll will carry 116 pounds, six fewer than co-topweights Vekoma and Signalman. R. A. Hill Stable and Gatsas Stables' Vekoma, undefeated in two starts including the Nashua (G3) last out, is second choice on the morning line at 7-2. Kentucky Jockey Club (G2) winner Signalman is third choice at 9-2.
Here is the field for the Fountain of Youth, with post positions and odds:
1. Code of Honor (Shug McGaughey, John Velazquez, 116), 6-1
2. Epic Dreamer (Kelly Breen, Tyler Gaffalione, 116), 20-1
3. Gladiator King (Jaime Mejia, Jorge Solorzano, 120), 50-1
4. Bourbon War (Mark Hennig, Irad Ortiz Jr., 116), 10-1
5. Vekoma (George Weaver, Manuel Franco, 122), 7-2
6. Signalman (Ken McPeek, Brian Hernandez Jr., 122), 9-2
7. Hidden Scroll (Bill Mott, Joel Rosario, 116), 9-5
8. Global Campaign (Stanley Hough, Luis Saez, 116), 10-1
9. Everfast (Dale Romans, Chris Landeros, 116), 20-1
10. Frosted Grace (Kathy Ritvo, Jonathan Gonzales, 116), 30-1
11. Union's Destiny (Juan Carlos Avila, Leonel Reyes, 116), 30-1
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2019 Paulick Report.