Local sprint superstar Welder is set to return to action in Friday night's $70,000 Silver Goblin Stakes, seeking his ninth consecutive triumph at Remington Park.
Welder will go to post on Friday at approximately 9:55 p.m., the seventh race of a nine-race card. A ninth consecutive win at Remington Park would move Welder past She's All In's eight in a row and into a sole spot right behind the all-time streak leader for Remington Park Thoroughbreds. He would be in the rear-view mirror of Slide Show, who has the record at 11 in a row in Oklahoma City, set in the early 1990s.
Welder, owned by Ra-Max Farms (Clayton Rash) in Claremore, Okla., is approaching $1 million in earnings for his career. The 6-year-old gelded son of The Visualiser, out of the Tiznow mare Dance Softly, has won 20-of-30 starts lifetime and $928,998. A win in this stakes race would put him at a little more than $970,000.
Welder is the heavy favorite in the morning-line at 2-5 odds. His Remington Park winning streak started on Nov. 17, 2017 when he won the first of his two previous Silver Goblin Stakes.
Here's a look at the Silver Goblin Stakes, a 6-1/2 furlong sprint for Oklahoma-breds, in post-position and program order, with trainer, jockey and morning-line odds:
1. Gospel Cherokey: Steve Williams, Luis Quinonez, 20-1
2. Golden Driller: Steve Williams, Walter De La Cruz, 30-1
3. Quality Rocket: Boyd Caster, Jose Medina, 12-1
4. Mr. N: Amanda Barton, Sasha Risenhoover, 7-2
5. Timely Reply: Randy Swango, Freddy Manrrique, 20-1
6. Welder: Teri Luneack, David Cabrera, 2-5 (morning-line favorite)
7. D Toz: Danny Pish, Lane Luzzi, 10-1
8. Rockport Kat: Teri Luneack, Kevin Roman, 20-1
Remington Park racing resumes this week, Wednesday through Saturday, Nov. 13-16 with the first race nightly at 7pm-Central.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2019 Paulick Report.