Four stakes for 2-year-olds – including a pair of Grade I races – highlight the upcoming Winter Thoroughbred meet at Los Alamitos.
The 12-day season will begin Thursday, Nov. 30 and continue through Sunday, Dec. 17.
The $300,000-guaranteed Los Alamitos CashCall Futurity and the $300,000-guaranteed Starlet – for fillies – will be renewed on Saturday, Dec. 9.
Won a year ago by the Bob Baffert-trained Mastery, the Futurity – like the Starlet – will be contested at 1 1/16 miles.
Among the nominees to the Futurity are Del Mar Juvenile Turf winner Encumbered, multiple stakes winner Run Away and St Patrick's Day, a full brother to 2015 Triple Crown winner American Pharoah.
Nominees for the Starlet, which was won a year ago by the Simon Callaghan-trained Abel Tasman, include Del Mar Debutante and Chandelier Stakes winner Moonshine Memories, Debutante runner-up Piedi Bianchi and Sorrento Stakes heroine Spectator.
The Winter meet's other graded stakes is the $200,000 guaranteed Bayakoa. Last run at Los Alamitos in 2014, the Grade II for fillies and mares – 3-year-olds & up – will be offered at 1 1/16 miles Sunday, Dec. 3.
The remaining stakes for 2-year-olds will be run at one mile and are ungraded. The $100,000 Soviet Problem – for fillies – will be contested Saturday, Dec. 2 while the $100,000 King Glorious will be run Saturday, Dec. 16. Both are for horses bred or sired in California.
The complete stakes schedule:
- Saturday, Dec. 2 Soviet Problem Stakes, 2-Year-Old Fillies, (California bred or sired) One Mile $100,000-guaranteed
- Sunday, Dec. 3 Bayakoa Stakes (Grade II) One & One Sixteenth Miles $200,000-guaranteed, 3-Year-Olds & Up, Fillies & Mares
- Saturday, Dec. 9 Starlet (Grade I) One & One Sixteenth Miles $300,000-guaranteed, 2-Year-Old Fillies
- Saturday, Dec. 9 Los Alamitos CashCall Futurity (Grade I) One & One Sixteenth Miles $300,000-guaranteed, 2-Year-Olds
- Saturday, Dec. 16 King Glorious Stakes One Mile $100,000-guaranteed, 2-Year-Olds (California bred or sired)
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2019 Paulick Report.