Five stakes – including a pair for 2-year-olds – highlight the 2019 Los Angeles County Fair meet at Los Alamitos.
The 10-day season will begin Friday, Sept. 6 and continue through Sunday, Sept. 22. Racing will be conducted on a Friday-Sunday basis the first two weeks (Sept. 6-8 and 13-15) and Thursday-Sunday the final week (Sept. 19-22). Post time will be 1 pm.
The final two Saturdays of the meet will feature two new events for juveniles – the $75,000 Phone Chatter for fillies and the $75,000 Capote for colts & geldings.
Both races are at 6 ½ furlongs. The Phone Chatter will be run Sept. 14 and the Capote Sept. 21.
The $75,000 Beverly J. Lewis and the $75,000 E.B. Johnston will be part of a stakes doubleheader Saturday, Sept. 7.
The Lewis is for 3-year-old fillies at six furlongs while the one-mile Johnston is for 3-year-olds & up bred or sired in California.
The $100,000 Los Alamitos Special, which was won a year ago by the Bob Baffert-trained Dabster in its inaugural running, will be offered Sunday, Sept. 15. The Special is for 3-year-olds & up at 1 ¼ miles.
There will be two handicapping contests during the meet – Saturday, Sept. 14 and Saturday, Sept. 21 – with berths to the 2020 National Handicapping Championship in Las Vegas on the line.
Track gates – including the Clubhouse and Vessels Club – will open at 9:30 a.m. General parking is free with grandstand admission. The admission price is $3 and $2 for seniors 62 and older.
The wagering menu includes the $2 Pick Six, a pair of Pick 4's – races 2-5 and the final four – as well as the extremely popular Players' Pick 5 – a 50-cent minimum wager with a reduced 14% takeout rate – on the first five races.
The Pick Six will have the standard 70-30 split with 70% of the pool going to those tickets with six winners with the remaining 30% going to consolations.
Entries for the opening day card will be taken Tuesday, Sept. 3.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2020 Paulick Report.