The following press release was issued on behalf of Mark Allen, co-owner of Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird, concerning previously publicized comments by Allen to enter the horse Indy Express in an effort to prevent Kentucky Oaks winner Rachel Alexandra from securing a starting berth in Saturday's Preakness Stakes at Pimlico. — Ray Paulick
For immediate release (Sunday, May 10, 1015 p.m.)
Indy Express out of Preakness
“When it comes to Rachel Alexandra, I personally don't think any filly should be in a race against colts at this stage of their careers. I don't believe in running fillies against the colts. But Rachel Alexandra is a superior filly and could be the exception. Mr. Jackson has a great trainer in Steve Asmussen and I'm sure they will make the right decision and Lord help us all if she does get in.”
“And yes, it's true that I would like to have my jockey back. Calvin Borel is great and did a great job for us. I also respect him and I completely understand his love for Rachel Alexandra. If the filly gets in we have a commitment from Mike Smith. We have a lot of confidence in Mike, he's from our part of the country and he's got some Cowboy in him too, I've seen his boots,” said Allen.
“Additionally, my decision to enter Indy Express in the Preakness was strictly business but after consulting with my Dad and Doc Blach, I have decided to withdraw Indy Express to prevent any further miss understandings. They're advice to me was just to do what's right, because arrogance and greed isn't right. Indy Express is a good colt and showing a lot of potential. I'll just have to look forward to running him later on down the road. The bottom-line for me is that we came here to race and enjoy our win here in Louisville. So, we'll meet everyone in Baltimore, ready to run,” said Allen.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2019 Paulick Report.