With the Grade I, $500,000 Gold Cup at Santa Anita poised to serve as its highlight, Santa Anita's 2016 Spring Meeting, which begins May 5 and runs through July 10, will offer fans and horsemen 34 stakes, with 16 graded events that include five Grade I races.
The Spring Meet will begin with the Grade II, $200,000 Royal Heroine Stakes for older fillies and mares at one mile on turf May 5, and will be followed on Kentucky Oaks Day, Friday, May 6, by the Grade III, one mile turf American Stakes for 3-year-olds and up.
On Kentucky Derby Day, May 7, Santa Anita will card the Grade III, one mile turf Senorita Stakes for 3-year-old fillies and the $75,000 Desert Code Stakes for 3-year-olds at 6 ½ furlongs down the hillside turf course.
The first of five Grade I stakes will be run on Memorial Day, May 30:
- Monday, May 30 $300,000 Gamely Stakes, for fillies and mares three and up, at 1 1/8 miles on turf.
- Saturday, June 4 $400,000 Vanity Stakes, for fillies and mares three and up, at one mile.
- Saturday, June 4 $400,000 Shoemaker Mile (turf), for three year olds and up.
- Saturday, June 25 $300,000 Triple Bend Stakes, three year olds and up at seven furlongs.
- Saturday, June 25 $500,000 Gold Cup at Santa Anita, three year olds and up at 1 ¼ miles.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2019 Paulick Report.