A list of events, races and betting opportunities during the second week of the 2019 Saratoga annual meet:
WEEK 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) will celebrate the legacy of Richard A. Violette, Jr., the longtime NYRA trainer and former president of the New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association, with the debut of a stakes race named in his honor on Wednesday.
- Wednesday will feature Saratoga Visit Day, which will bring numerous local attractions, museums and entertainment venues to the Spa.
- The Spa will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing with a series of lunar-themed activities, demonstrations and displays on Saturday.
- Sunday will welcome fans to experience the all-new The Rail at the 1863 Club for only $75 during the lively Brunch and Bubbly event.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 17
- Rick Violette (NYB): The Rockville Centre, previously run at Belmont, has moved to Saratoga and will go as the $100,000 Rick Violette, a six-furlong sprint for New York-bred juveniles, in honor of the late Richard A. Violette, Jr., the longtime NYRA horseman and former president of the New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association.
- Saratoga Visit Day:Fans will have the opportunity to experience Saratoga's leading attractions during the first Saratoga Visit Day from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion will serve as a one-stop location to learn about the world-class cultural attractions in Saratoga Springs and will provide fans with options to complement their visit to Saratoga Race Course. Participating organizations and attractions include: Frances Young Tang Teaching Museum and Art Gallery; National Museum of Dance; National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame; Saratoga Arts District; Saratoga Automobile Museum; Saratoga Performing Arts Center; Saratoga Springs History Museum; and Yaddo Gardens.
- NYRA Bets: NYRA Bets continues its $1 Million Single-Ticket Bonus for any NYRA Bets customer that hits the Late Pick 5 at Saratoga.Saratoga's Late Pick 5 is open to all horseplayers across North America, but the $1 million bonus is only eligible to NYRA Bets customers placing their bets through their NYRA Bets account. The Late Pick 5, featuring a low 15 percent takeout rate and 50 cent minimum, will be offered on every card at Saratoga Race Course. For additional information on the NYRA Late Pick 5 and eligibility details for the $1 million single-ticket bonus visit NYRABets.com.
THURSDAY, JULY 18
- Stillwater (NYB): The day's feature race is the $100,000 Stillwater for 2-year-old New York-bred fillies at six furlongs.
- Taste NY: Wine & Spirits: Fans will have the opportunity to sample varietals of wine and spirits from New York State wineries and distilleries during this weekly event. Live music will accompany the tasting each Thursday from noon to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion. Guests will enjoy five samples for $5. Must be 21 years or older to participate.
- Low Roller Challenge: Every Thursday will include the Low Roller Challenge which allows aspiring handicappers the opportunity to experience the thrill of tournament play for $40, with $30 going towards live bankroll and $10 to the prize pool. Entrants will also have an opportunity to qualify for the Saratoga Challenge on Friday, August 9. Registration begins at 11 a.m. near the Fourstardave Sports Bar with early entrants receiving a special NYRA Bets promotional item.
FRIDAY, JULY 19
- Lake George: The day's feature race is the Grade 3, $150,000 Lake George for 3-year-old fillies at a mile on the turf.
- Taste NY: Craft Beer & Cider: The Friday edition of the popular weekly tasting event will offer guests the opportunity to sample craft beers and ciders produced exclusively in New York State. Live music will accompany the tasting each Friday from noon to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion. Guests will enjoy five samples for $5. Must be 21 years or older to participate.
SATURDAY, JULY 20
- Coaching Club American Oaks: Saturday will be highlighted by the Grade 1 Coaching Club American Oaks, during which 3-year-old fillies will take center stage to compete for an upgraded purse of $500,000. The day's card will also include the $200,000 Caress for 4-year-olds and up on the turf.
- Moon Landing Anniversary: Saratoga will celebrate the 50thanniversary of the historic first moon landing, which occurred on July 20, 1969. Fans are invited to enjoy a variety of lunar-themed activities from the Museum of Innovation and Science in Schenectady, including displays of meteorites and moon craters, as well as sun observations using a special telescope that allows for viewing of solar flares and spots. All activities will take place adjacent to Horse Sense across from the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Fashion Saturdays: Designed to showcase the tradition of style in thoroughbred racing, the weekly event will feature women's and men's fashion apparel from local retailers, as well as a selection of home décor and jewelry items. The event will be held each Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion.
SUNDAY, JULY 21
- Shuvee Handicap: Sunday's card will feature the Grade 3, $200,000 Shuvee Handicap for 3-year-olds and up at nine furlongs.
- Brunch and Bubbly at The Rail at the 1863 Club: Fans are invited to enjoy brunch, mimosas and more while experiencing The Rail at the 1863 Club, the first-floor banquet space at the all-new 1863 Club. Tickets are $75. Reservations are available by calling the NYRA Box Office at 844-NYRA-TIX.
- Berkshire Bank Family Adventure Sundays: The popular kid-oriented weekly event will feature a wide variety of free family-friendly activities, games, attractions and educational activities each Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion. The theme for this week's event is “Christmas in July,” which will include photos for children with Santa Claus.
- Low Roller Challenge: Every Sunday will include the Low Roller Challenge which allows aspiring handicappers the opportunity to experience the thrill of tournament play for $40, with $30 going towards live bankroll and $10 to the prize pool. Entrants will also have an opportunity to qualify for the Saratoga Challenge on Friday, August 9. Registration begins at 11 a.m. near the Fourstardave Sports Bar with early entrants receiving a special NYRA Bets promotional item.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2020 Paulick Report.