In a recent interview with a local reporter, Ontario's Minister of Agriculture Ted McMeekin admitted that the government “dropped the ball” regarding horse racing and the Slots at Racetracks Program.
According to an article at Farms.com, that even with McMeekin's surprising admission, other government officials are wondering why something wasn't said – or done – much earlier. Perth-Wellington MPP Randy Pettapiece said in a statement on his website, “Finally, someone in the Liberal cabinet has stated the obvious. They dropped the ball. But that's an understatement. And I wonder why the minister didn't speak up when he had the chance.”
The Ontario government announced in March 2012 that it would be ending the Slots at Racetracks Program, effective March 30, 2013. In August of last year, Pettapiece and fellow MPP Ted Arnott revealed that the decision to end the slots program had been made before any of the economic impact studies had been completed.
“Rural and small-town Ontario have already suffered because of the Liberals' actions,” Pettapiece continued. “Jobs are being lost, horses are being slaughtered, and now – ten months later – the minister admits they made a mistake?”
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2018 Paulick Report.