Saturday's live racing program at Parx Racing in Bensalem, Pa., is in jeopardy after 34 jockeys told track management they would not accept mounts until three issues were addressed. Entries for Saturday were taken earlier this week, but as of Thursday afternoon no jockeys were named on any runners.
Tom Kennedy, attorney for the Jockeys' Guild, said the jockeys turned in written statements to the clerk of scales and racing secretary, citing three reasons for not accepting mounts: 1) the condition of the jockeys room, including sanitary conditions; 2) a form Parx has told jockeys they must complete that includes any information about any past legal problems; and 3) the fact that Parx does not provide funds to the Jockeys' Guild – as a majority of tracks do – to be used for benefits like disability insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance and life insurance.
Kennedy said Parx officials stated that they would cancel Saturday's program and also not race on their next scheduled date, Feb. 10, if necessary.
David Osojnak, director of racing at Parx, when reached by the Paulick Report late Wednesday afternoon, said he was about to go into a meeting to discuss the matter and could not comment.
CORRECTION: In the original version of this article it was incorrectly reported that Parx stopped providing funds to the Jockeys' Guild for benefits. In fact, while a majority of racetrack owners contribute to the Guild for the purpose of securing disability, accidental death and dismemberment and life insurance for Guild members, Parx has not contributed to this fund for a number of years.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2020 Paulick Report.