Here's a list of races, events and entertainment for Week 3 of the 2019 Saratoga summer meet:
WEEK 3 HIGHLIGHTS
- The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) will pay tribute to military service members and veterans in appreciation of their sacrifice and service to the nation during Military Appreciation Day on Wednesday, July 24.
- Racing fans may get a Travers preview during the running of the Grade 2, $600,000 Jim Dandy, presented by NYRA Bets, on Saturday, July 27.
- Riders from the Saratoga jockey colony will participate in an autograph session to raise funds for the Permanently Disabled Jockeys' Fund (PDJF) during PDJF Awareness Day on Saturday, July 27.
- Racing fans can experience the all-new 1863 Club with Family Fun Day on Sunday, July 28. The event in The Rail at the 1863 Club will include a family-friendly buffet, ice cream sundae station and activities for the kids. Tickets are only $75 for adults and $45 for kids.
- Patio tables overlooking the horse path outside the 1863 Club are now available for paid reservation. Tables seat four to six guests and include lunch buffet as well as access to all first-floor amenities in The Rail at the 1863 Club, Saratoga's newest hospitality venue. Reservations are available by calling the NYRA Box Office at 844-NYRA-TIX.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 24
- Honorable Miss Handicap:The day's feature race is the Grade 2, $200,000 Honorable Miss Handicap for fillies and mares at six furlongs.
- Military Appreciation Day:NYRA will pay tribute to the nation's servicemembers and veterans during Military Appreciation Dayat Saratoga Race Course.The day will feature free grandstand admission for all United States military service members and veterans with valid military ID or proof of military service.NYRA will welcome local service members and veterans to the winner's circle before numerous races on the day's card. The service members will represent the sacrifices of those who have defended the United States from World War II through the present era.
- NYRA Bets: NYRA Bets continues its $1 Million Single-Ticket Bonus for any NYRA Bets customer that hits the Late Pick 5 at Saratoga.Saratoga's Late Pick 5 is open to all horseplayers across North America, but the $1 million bonus is only eligible to NYRA Bets customers placing their bets through their NYRA Bets account. The Late Pick 5, featuring a low 15 percent takeout rate and 50 cent minimum, will be offered on every card at Saratoga Race Course. For additional information on the NYRA Late Pick 5 and eligibility details for the $1 million single-ticket bonus visit NYRABets.com.
New NYRA Bets customers can earn a $200 bonus when they sign up with promo code SPA and bet $200 in the first 14 days.
THURSDAY, JULY 25
- A.P. Smithwick Memorial and John Morrissey:The day's feature race is the Grade 1, $150,000 A.P. Smithwick Memorial steeplechase. The card also includesthe $100,000 John Morrissey for New York-breds going six-and-a-half furlongs.
- Taste NY: Wine & Spirits: Fans will have the opportunity to sample varietals of wine and spirits from New York State wineries and distilleries during this weekly event. Live music will accompany the tasting each Thursday from noon to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion. Guests will enjoy five samples for $5. Must be 21 years or older to participate.
- Low Roller Challenge Handicapping Contest: Every Thursday will include the Low Roller Challenge Handicapping Contest, which allows aspiring handicappers the opportunity to experience the thrill of tournament play for $40, with $30 going towards live bankroll and $10 to the prize pool. Registration begins at 11 a.m. near the Fourstardave Sports Bar with early entrants receiving a special NYRA Bets promotional item.
- At the Post Live with Andy Serling: Join NYRA's Andy Serling as he talks with Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens and trainers Mike Maker and Stanley Hough during At The Post Live with Andy Serling from The Parting Glass in downtown Saratoga Springs at 8 p.m. The show, which is presented by NYRA Bets, airs on ESPN Radio 104.5 FM “The Team” and features interviews with racing industry newsmakers discussing the Saratoga meet. At the Post Live can also be accessed via the Across the Board with Andy Serling podcast.
FRIDAY, JULY 26
- Curlin: The day's feature is the $100,000 Curlin for 3-year-olds at nine furlongs.
- Taste NY: Craft Beer & Cider: The Friday edition of the popular weekly tasting event will offer guests the opportunity to sample craft beers and ciders produced exclusively in New York State. Live music will accompany the tasting each Friday from noon to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion. Guests will enjoy five samples for $5. Must be 21 years or older to participate.
SATURDAY, JULY 27
- Jim Dandy Day: A trio of graded stakes headlines one of the most highly anticipated Saturdays on the Saratoga calendar. The traditional local prep for the Travers, the Grade 2, $600,000 Jim Dandy presented by NYRA Bets, will be joined by the Grade 1, $350,000 Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap and the Grade 2, $250,000 Bowling Green.
- PDJF Awareness Day: Saratoga Race Course will unite with racetracks across the country with autograph signings and photo opportunities as part of PDJF Day Across America. Riders from the Saratoga jockey colony will sign autographs on the Jockey Silks Room Porch from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. with a suggested donation to PDJF. Fans who donate $5 will receive a commemorative “Riders Up!” poster, while supplies last, and will be entered to win a framed limited edition “150 Years of Racing at Saratoga” print.
- Fashion Saturdays: Designed to showcase the tradition of style in thoroughbred racing, the weekly event will feature women's and men's fashion apparel from local retailers, as well as a selection of home décor and jewelry items. The event will be held each Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion.
SUNDAY, JULY 28
- Amsterdam: Sunday's card will feature the Grade 2, $200,000 Amsterdam for 3-year-olds going six and half furlongs.
- Family Fun Day at The Rail at the 1863 Club: Racing fans of all ages will have the opportunity to experience Saratoga's newest hospitality venue during this family-friendly day at the 1863 Club. Guests will enjoy a kid-friendly buffet and ice cream sundae station within the first-floor banquet space. Activities will include a magician, balloon animal maker and face painting. Tickets are $75 for adults and $45 for kids and are available by calling the NYRA Box Office at 844-NYRA-TIX.
- Berkshire Bank Family Adventure Sundays: The popular kid-oriented weekly event will feature a wide variety of free family-friendly activities, games, attractions and educational activities each Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Coca-Cola Saratoga Pavilion. The theme for this week's event is “Hocus Pocus,” featuring magic spell lessons, a giant cauldron and a create-your-own witch hat station. Children are encouraged to wear costumes.
- Low Roller Challenge Handicapping Contest: Every Sunday will include the Low Roller Challenge Handicapping Contest, which allows aspiring handicappers the opportunity to experience the thrill of tournament play for $40, with $30 going towards live bankroll and $10 to the prize pool. Registration begins at 11 a.m. near the Fourstardave Sports Bar with early entrants receiving a special NYRA Bets promotional item.
For more information about upcoming special events at Saratoga Race Course, visit https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/tickets/events.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2020 Paulick Report.