It's been 47 years since legendary Triple Crown winner Secretariat was born at The Meadow in Caroline County, Virginia on March 30, 1970. Today his historic birthplace is the celebration destination for legions of devoted fans who wish to remember the great racehorse and meet members of the Meadow Stable team he took on the ride of their lives. The annual Secretariat Birthday Celebration takes place March 24-26 at the Meadow Event Park in conjunction with the Virginia Horse Festival.
Slated to join the birthday festivities are Charlie Davis, Secretariat's entertaining exercise rider; Otto Thorwarth, professional jockey and actor who portrayed Ron Turcotte in the Disney film “Secretariat;” and Kate Chenery Tweedy, daughter of Penny Chenery and co-author of the award-winning Secretariat's Meadow – The Land, The Family, The Legend with Leeanne Meadows Ladin.
Highlights of the weekend program include:
• Meet and greet with Groundshaker, resident Secretariat great-great granddaughter, and Covert Action, a grandson of Secretariat and “spokeshorse” for the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation at James River
• Mia, the resident miniature horse, who will be decked out like a “Little Big Red”
• “BARN APPETIT” farm-to-fork dinner designed by acclaimed chef Jason Alley of Pasture Restaurant, highlighting local artisan foods and craft beverages with a special surprise
• “Big Red on the Big Screen” – a showing of the Disney movie “Secretariat” with commentary by the Secretariat Team
• Narrated tours of Meadow Hall showcasing the Chenery Collection of rare Meadow Stable artifacts
• Ribbon-cutting ceremony for Groundshaker's new barn with some exciting announcements for the Secretariat tour program
• Photo ops at the “World's Largest Horseshoe,” a giant 600-lb. replica of Secretariat's racing shoe located by his historic yearling barn
• An extensive selection of official Secretariat merchandise in the Exhibit Hall and more
The Secretariat Birthday Celebration, a collaboration with Secretariat.com of Louisville, KY, is a major highlight of the Virginia Horse Festival, which celebrates horses and riding disciplines of all types. Fans can enjoy three days of clinics and demonstrations with top clinicians such as Guy McLean; a parade of breeds; 60,000 square feet of indoor shopping for all horse lovers; and much more.
Tickets for the festival and Secretariat birthday events are now on sale. See VirginiaHorseFestival.com for complete ticket information and the full program schedule. And follow the Secretariat's Meadow Facebook page for more updates on the birthday activities.
The Meadow Event Park is located off I-95 at exit 98 (Doswell) 1.5 miles east of King's Dominion theme park.
Secretariat's birthplace at The Meadow is now listed on the state and national historic registers and offers year-round narrated tours. See http://www.meadoweventpark.com/hoofprints-of-history-tour/ for more information.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2017 Paulick Report.