Dr. Tim Parkin, veterinarian and epidemiologist at the University of Glasgow, says there are still big blind spots in the Equine Injury Database. In an interview this week with The Horse magazine, Parkin highlighted the need for complete workout data (not just timed works, but length, date, and speed of slower works) and veterinary data to help him complete the picture of fatal injury risk to racehorses.
At the 2016 Jockey Club Welfare and Safety Summit, Parkin presented risk factors identified by the EID that led to higher risk of increased injury. He also revealed that just 35 percent of the drop in injury rate from 2015 to 2016 could be explained by those factors, leaving another 65 percent that was impacted by yet-unidentified factors.
Parkin said the EID needs accurate, complete veterinary data to understand a horse's injury risk — and total honesty in this area is critical.
“Compelling declaration of medical records without ensuring that trainers and others recognize the importance of this information will compromise the quality of that information and compliance with its supply,” Parkin told The Horse's editor-in-chief Stephanie Church. “Part of the work we do to encourage supply of this information has to be a clear recognition, on our part, of the pressures that trainers face in terms of needing to get horses to the track and the accompanying financial considerations.”
Read more at The Horse
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2020 Paulick Report.