One of the first horses to step onto the track at Santa Anita Saturday morning, Breeders' Cup Sprint champion Runhappy threw down the gauntlet in his final work before stretching out to contest the Dirt Mile. The 4-year-old son of Super Saver demonstrated some reluctant antics on the front side prior to the work, but after breaking off at the half-mile pole he showed no such reservations. Breezing through to the seven-furlong marker, he stopped the clock in :58.55 for five furlongs under little to no urging.
“I thought he looked good down the stretch and Marcus wasn't having to ask him or anything,” trainer Laura Wohlers told bloodhorse.com. “That's a nice, strong work and that's all we wanted out of him. He's been galloping very strong in the mornings, so we'll go light between now and (the Dirt Mile).”
Other major Breeders' Cup workouts across the country Saturday included:
- Theory (Juvenile) breezed a half under Castellano in :49.52 at Belmont.
- Not This Time (Juvenile) worked five furlongs in 1:01.71 at Santa Anita.
- Syndergaard (Juvenile) worked five furlongs at Belmont in 1:00.88 under John Velazquez.
- Practical Joke (Juvenile) breezed five furlongs in 1:01.58 at Belmont Park.
- Gormley (Juvenile) worked very easily over Santa Anita's surface, recording six furlongs in 1:16.44.
- Union Strike (Juvenile Fillies) worked a half at Santa Anita in :49 flat.
- Sweet Loretta (Juvenile Fillies) worked over the Belmont training track in 1:03.34 under Javier Castellano.
- Daddys Lil Darling (Juvenile Fillies) worked four furlongs at Santa Anita in :52.36.
- With Honors (Juvenile Fillies, or Juv. Fil. Turf) worked five furlongs over Santa Anita dirt in 1:05 4/5.
- Sweeping Paddy (Juv. Fil. Turf) worked five furlongs over Santa Anita dirt in :59.74.
- Keen Ice (Classic) worked five-eighths at Belmont in 1:00.63.
- Shaman Ghost (Classic) worked five furlongs at Santa Anita in 1:00.09.
- Hoppertunity (Classic) worked five furlongs at Santa Anita in 1:00 flat.
- Ashleyluvssugar (Turf) worked five furlongs at Santa Anita in 1:00 2/5.
- Metaboss (Turf) worked over the Santa Anita training track, five furlongs in 1:01.68.
- A. P. Indian (Sprint) worked five furlongs at Fair Hill in 1:00 2/5.
— Joe Clancy (@joeclancy65) October 29, 2016
- Mind Your Biscuits (Sprint) worked six furlongs in 1:16.77 at Santa Anita.
- Masochistic (Sprint) worked from the gate at Santa Anita, five furlongs in 1:00.23.
- I'm A Chatterbox (Distaff) worked five furlongs at Keeneland in :59 flat under Florent Geroux.
— Keeneland Racing (@keenelandracing) October 29, 2016
- Curalina (Distaff, F&M Sprint) worked five-eights at Belmont in 1:01.30.
- Gloryzapper (F&M Sprint) worked five furlongs at Santa Anita in 1:01 1/5.
- Wavell Avenue (F&M Sprint) worked a half in :47.19 at Belmont.
- Irish Jasper (F&M Sprint) breezed a half in :49.56 at Belmont.
- Ring Weekend (Mile) worked five furlongs over the Keeneland dirt in 1:02 4/5.
- Photo Call (Mile, F&M Turf) worked a half at Belmont in :48.86.
- Obviously (Mile, Turf Sprint) worked over Santa Anita training track in 1:00.28.
- A Lot (Turf Sprint) worked on the Belmont dirt in 48.94 for the half.
- Green Mask (Turf Sprint) breezed over Belmont's Turf in an easy half in 50.50.
- Made You Look and J S Choice (both Juvenile Turf) worked on Belmont's turf in company in 49.66 for the half.
Check back for more workout updates throughout the morning, and be sure to watch the live feed of training at Santa Anita right here at the Paulick Report.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2019 Paulick Report.