Arlington International Racecourse will hold its premiere race day of the season on Saturday August 10, as the International Festival of Racing returns featuring the 37th running of the Arlington Million (GI).
The first of three Grade I's on the day will be the 30th running of the Beverly D. (GI) as Sistercharlie (IRE) looks to become the first ever to win the race twice. The Chad Brown trainee will be the one to beat as she is listed as the 8-5 morning line favorite. The Beverly D. is a “Win and You're In Race” for the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf.
Magic Wand (IRE), for Aiden O' Brien, will look to get herself back in the winner's circle after being runner up in three of her six 2019 starts. She is listed as the third choice in the Beverly D. at 3-1. Magic Wand (IRE) is also cross entered in the Arlington Million (GI).
30th running of The Beverly D. (GI)
1 3/16th miles (Turf)
1. Fleeting (IRE) – Ryan Moore – 5/2 ML
2. Awesometank (GB) – Florent Geroux – 8/1 ML
3. Competitionofideas – Javier Castellano – 6/1 ML
4. Oh So Terrible – Jose Valdivia Jr. – 30/1 ML
5. Remember Daisy – Mitchell Murill – 30/1 ML
6. Magic Wand (IRE) – Wayne Lordan – 3/1 ML
7. Sistercharlie (IRE) – John Velazquez – 8/5 ML
8. Thais (FR) – Irad Ortiz Jr. – 20/1 ML
The second Grade I on tap Saturday will be the 43rd running of the Secretariat Stakes (GI) as a field of nine will be sent the one-mile journey over the Arlington turf course. The Chad Brown trainee Fog of War was installed as the 5-2 morning line favorite. Peter Brant's 3-year-old son of War Front looks to score his second Grade I in his young career.
Winner of the Secretariat Stakes (GIII), Faraway Kitten returns looking for his third straight victory. The Ken and Sarah Ramsey homebred is listed as the 9-2 second choice.
43rd running of The Secretariat Stakes (GI)
1 mile (Turf)
1. Clint Maroon (GB) – Channing Hill – 20/1 ML
2. Van Beethoven – Wayne Lordan – 8/1 ML
3. Never No More (IRE) – Ryan Moore – 6/1 ML
4. The Last Zip – Adam Beschizza – 6/1 ML
5. Ry's the Guy – Chris Landeros – 15/1 ML
6. Fog of War – Irad Ortiz Jr. – 3/1 ML
7. Valid Point – Javier Castellano – 5/1 ML
8. Faraway Kitten – John Velazquez – 9/2 ML
9. Crafty Daddy – Florent Geroux – 5/1 ML
The feature on the Saturday card is the 37th running of the Arlington Million (GI).
A field of ten will be sent to post for the Breeders Cup Win and Your In event, as the winner will have an all-expenses paid and guaranteed spot in the Breeders Cup Turf.
Chad Brown's Bricks and Mortar ships into town as the number one horse in the country, who is also riding a five race win streak and is a perfect four for four so far in 2019. The Klaravich Stables son of Giant's Causeway is certainly the one to beat, and was made the 8-5 morning line favorite.
Brown will also have defending champion Robert Bruce (CHI) in on Saturday. Owned by Convento Viejo, LLC, Robert Bruce (CHI) will look to make history as a win in the 37th running will make him the first ever to win the Arlington Million in back to back years. Robert Bruce (CHI) is the second choice at 7-2 morning line.
37th running of the Arlington Million (GI)
1 1/4th miles (Turf)
1. Robert Bruce (CHI) – Javier Castellano – 7/2 ML
2. Magic Wand (IRE) – Wayne Lordan – 5/1 ML
3. Bricks and Mortar – Irad Ortiz Jr. – 8/5 ML
4. Catcho En Die (ARG) – Sophie Doyle – 30/1 ML
5. Hunting Horn (IRE) – Ryan Moore – 12/1 ML
6. The Great Day (ARG) – Trevor McCarthy – 12/1 ML
7. Pivoine (IRE) – Silvestre De Sousa – 15/1 ML
8. Captivating Moon – Jose Valdivia Jr. – 20/1 ML
9. Intellogent (IRE) – Florent Geroux – 12/1 ML
10. Bandua – Adam Beschizza – 6/1 ML
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2020 Paulick Report.