Seven horses are dead after an electrical overload sparked a blaze in a barn at the Gulfstream Polo Club in Lake Worth, Florida. Four other horses sustained injuries and were taken to a nearby veterinarian for treatment.
The polo horses, who according to The Palm Beach Post were Thoroughbreds, where housed in a 50-year-old barn that likely did not have a sprinkler system. Some were worth as much as $50,000. Officials suspect the horses may have died of smoke inhalation before emergency personnel arrived. By the time firefighters arrived on the scene, parts of the roof had fallen in.
“I could feel the flames from 70 yards away. It was too late for anyone to get inside and save the horses,” Club president Randy Aversano told the Palm Beach Post. “Everyone was in tears.”
Read more at The Palm Beach Post
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2018 Paulick Report.