Leslie's Lady, dam of Grade 1 winners Beholder and Into Mischief, named as the 2016 Broodmare of the Year. Clearsky Farms takes home three awards at the KTOB's Annual KY-Bred Champions Award Luncheon held at Keeneland Racecourse. Arrogate was honored as the KY-Bred Horse of the Year and as Three-Year-Old Male. In addition, Clearsky Farms received the P.A.B. Widener Award representing the Breeder of the Year and voted upon by the Board of Directors.
2016 KTOB Broodmare of the Year and owner and 2016 KY-Bred Champions and their breeders:
· Broodmare of the Year: Leslie's Lady (Owner: Clarkland Farm)
· Horse of the Year, Three-Year-Old Male: Arrogate (Clearsky Farms)
· Two-Year-Old Male: Classic Empire (Steven Nicholson & Brandi Nicholson)
· Two-Year-Old Filly: Champagne Room (Respite Farm)
· Three-Year-Old Filly: Songbird (John Antonelli)
· Older Dirt Female: Beholder (Clarkland Farm)
· Turf Male: Tourist (WinStar Farm, LLC)
· Turf Female, Racing Abroad: Tepin (Machmer Hall)
· Sprinter: Defrong (Frederick M. Allor, Michael T. Barnett & Anthony M. Warrender)
· Steeplechase Horse: Special Skills (Sierra Farm)
Four merit awards were presented to individuals for their contributions to the Kentucky Thoroughbred Industry.
2016 Merit awards presented at the KTOB Luncheon:
· P.A.B. Widener Trophy for KTOB Breeder of the Year: Clearsky Farms
· Hardboot Breeders' Award pays tribute to distinctive but unsung breeders that help make up the backbone of our industry: Brereton C. Jones
· Charles W. Engelhard Award acknowledges a member of the media for outstanding coverage of the Thoroughbred industry: Jay Privman
· William T. Young Humanitarian Award distinguishes a person or organization in the Thoroughbred industry “who recognizes and promotes the human endeavor:” Godolphin Flying Start & Kentucky Equine Management Internship
Also receiving awards were the top Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund (KTDF) money earners in 2016 in five separate categories.
2016 Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund (KTDF) Leaders:
· KTDF Sire of the Year: Kitten's Joy (Ramsey Farm)
· KTDF Earner of the Year: Kitten's Roar (Ken & Sarah Ramsey)
· KTDF Owner of the Year: Ken & Sarah Ramsey
· KTDF Trainer of the Year: Michael Maker
· KTDF Breeder of the Year: Ken & Sarah Ramsey
Recipients of the 2016 KTOB Kentucky-Bred Champion awards were voted on by the full membership of KTA/KTOB while the KTDF category leaders were tabulated using purse money won at KY racetracks in 2016. KTOB merit award recipients were voted on by the KTA/KTOB Board of Directors.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2018 Paulick Report.