The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) has canceled the remainder of Sunday's live racing program at Aqueduct Racetrack following the day's fourth race due to a powerful winter storm forecast to impact the New York City metropolitan area over the next 48 hours.
The National Weather Service, as well as NYRA's independent weather forecasting services, are calling for a mix of snow, sleet and heavy rain to continue throughout Sunday.
According to the Daily Racing Form, the Aqueduct jockeys were the driving force behind the cancellation when they refused to ride the rest of the card. Icy conditions on the track, along with the worsening weather forecast, were the main reasons cited in the jockeys' unanimous decision.
“I'm not sure how we're going to race this winter,” a frustrated Martin Panza, NYRA's vice-president and senior director of racing operations, told drf.com. “These conditions today are nothing compared to what our jockeys go through January, February and March.”
Aqueduct Racetrack will remain open for simulcasting.
Live racing is scheduled to resume on Thursday at Aqueduct with a nine-race card highlighted by the $100,000 Tepin in Race 3. First post is 12:20 p.m.
The G3 Fall Highweight was among the races canceled today. It had already been re-carded after the Thanksgiving Day cancellation, and it was unclear whether the race would be carded a third time next week.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2020 Paulick Report.