The Championship Meet begins Friday at Gulfstream Park, and two turf races from the South Florida track will play a key role in solving the popular Stronach 5.
Featuring a $100,000 guaranteed pool and industry-low 12-percent takeout, the Stronach 5 will begin at 3:50 p.m. when a field of eight claimers go to post at Laurel Park.
After a claiming event for 3-year-olds and up at Golden Gate Fields and a return to Laurel for a field of maiden claimers going six furlongs, the Stronach 5 will settle in at Gulfstream. Gulfstream's ninth race, a one mile turf event for 3-year-olds and up, will be the fourth leg of the Stronach 5 while the 10th race, a turf event for fillies and mares going 1 1/16 miles, will anchor the national wager. Both races have a dozen entered.
Friday's races and sequence
- Leg One – Laurel Park 8th Race: (8 entries, 7 furlongs) 3:50 ET, 12:50 PT
- Leg Two –Golden Gate Fields 2nd Race: (6 entries, 1 mile) 4:18 ET, 1:18 PT
- Leg Three –Laurel Park 9th Race: (8 entries, 6 furlongs) 4:20 ET, 1:20 PT
- Leg Four –Gulfstream Park 9th Race: (12 entries, one mile turf) 4:30 ET, 1:30 PT
- Leg Five –Gulfstream Park 10th Race: (12 entries, 1 1/16 miles turf) 5 ET, 2 PT
The minimum wager on the multi-race, multi-track Stronach 5 is $1. If there are no tickets with five winners, the entire pool will be carried over to the next Friday.
If a change in racing surface is made after the wagering closes, each selection on any ticket will be considered a winning selection. If a betting interest is scratched, that selection will be substituted with the favorite in the win pool when wagering closes.
The Maryland Jockey Club serves as host of the Stronach 5.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2020 Paulick Report.