Divisional winners of the Rood & Riddle Sport Horse Award for 2018 were honored on January 12 at the Horse of the Year Awards presented by AON during the US Equestrian Annual Meeting in West Palm Beach, FL. Rood & Riddle in Wellington Practice Manager Nikki Stokes made the trophy presentations to the divisional winners. Additionally, the Pegasus, Horse of the Year, and Intercollegiate Awards were presented. These awards wrap up the 2018 competition year across all breeds and disciplines.
The Sport Horse Awards are given each year to Thoroughbreds participating in their second careers as performance horses in jumper, hunter, eventing and dressage competitions throughout the year. Thoroughbreds are bred to be superior athletes and, therefore, excel in all disciplines. These awards were created to celebrate the horses that best represent their breed in these four disciplines.
Competitors earn points toward the Rood & Riddle Thoroughbred Sport Horse Awards at USEF-sanctioned events during the show season, and the open divisional awards go to the highest point earners. Rookie awards in each division ensure that newcomers are recognized as well. A Horse of the Year is chosen among the open winners by a panel of celebrities. This award is presented at the annual Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association awards banquet held in September.
“Rood and Riddle is pleased to join with TOBA and the USEF to sponsor awards that highlight the usefulness of Thoroughbreds as sport horses in the hunter, jumper, dressage and three-day event disciplines. We congratulate all the winners and thank them for choosing a Thoroughbred to ride,” said Dr. Tom Riddle, co-founder of Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital.
2018 Rookie Winners:
- Hunter Division: Unbridled Logic (Jockey Club Name: Unbridled Logic), by Lion Heart, out of Aheadnotatail. Owned by Oliver Brown of VA.
- Jumper Division: Double Clear's Flat Sexy (Jockey Club Name: End Zone), by Wild Zone, out of Colonial Sue. Owned by Anne Ayers Warner of NE.
- Dressage Division: Rare Air (Jockey Club Name: Osceola Gal), by Tenpins out of Keen Scent. Owned by Katie Malensek of FL.
- Eventing Division: Rebel Soul (Jockey Club Name: Rebel Soul), by Bernstein out of Bronze Abe. Owned by Isabel Holden of FL.
2018 Open Winners:
- Hunter Division: Irascibull (Jockey Club Name: Irascibull), by Holly Bull out of Aerobatics. Owned by Susan Semen McDaniel and Frank Semen of OH.
- Jumper Division: Jet (Jockey Club Name: Reckless Cat), by Cat's at Home out of Love Whisper. Owned by Lila Sessums of MS.
- Dressage Division: Raphael (Jockey Club Name: Red Phase), by Monreal Red out of Joyful Pat. Owned by Rebecca Sturdy of IL.
- Eventing Division: Archie Rocks (Jockey Club Name: Smittys Messiah), by Le Monde out of Unbridled Diva. Owned by Maya Simmons of NC.
Read more about Rood and Riddle.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2020 Paulick Report.