The Right Horse Initiative's first annual Good People for Good Horses Awards recognized eight recipients who have made outstanding contributions to equine adoption and welfare efforts. Each recipient has dedicated their time and talents to helping horses in transition through varying capacities as horse industry professionals, volunteers or advocates.
The awards were created to recognize and spotlight the outstanding contributions being made by individuals in the equine welfare and adoption movements. “We realize there are so many unsung heroes whose efforts are invaluable to adoption programs; we wanted to shine the spotlight on them,” stated Christy Counts, President of The Right Horse Initiative. “These are folks who go above and beyond giving their time and resources to help horses in need.”
The Right Horse Initiative is pleased to recognize the following individuals and organizations in six categories.
- Trainer: Melissa Porter, nominated for her work at Finger Lakes Thoroughbred Adoption Program
- Farrier: Thad Gouge, APF, CF nominated for his work at Kentucky Equine Adoption Center
- Community Partner:, Celia and Daniela Bunge, Miami International Riding Club, nominated for their unique approach to cultivating and integrating at-risk equines into their riding programs.
- Volunteer: Casey Waldrop, nominated for her work at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society
- Wild Card: Elizabeth Moyer, freelance writer and contributor to Horse Illustrated and Young Rider magazines, nominated for her editorial efforts in promoting equine adoption to their readership
- Veterinary Professional, West region: Wayne Marteney, DVM, nominated for his work with Love This Horse Equine Rescue
- Veterinary Professional, Central region: Bruce Connally, DVM, MS nominated for his work with Colorado Horse Rescue
- Veterinary Professional, East region: James Fukuda, DVM, nominated for his work with Florida Thoroughbred Retirement and Adoptive Care
Each winner received a custom belt buckle and plaque to honor their efforts. To read more about each winner and their contributions to adoption efforts, please visit https://therighthorse.org/2019-good-people-for-good-horses-awards/
The Right Horse Initiative is a collective of industry professionals and equine welfare advocates working together to improve the lives of horses in transition through a dialogue of kindness and respect. Through collaboration with over 60 industry and adoption partners, The Right Horse is able to innovate new and better adoption standards and practices. Together, the goal is to shatter the stigma and reframe the conversation around equine adoption in order to massively increase horse adoption in the United States. To learn more, visit www.therighthorse.org.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2020 Paulick Report.