The New Mexico Livestock Board issued the following update on the Sunland Park EHV-1 outbreak late Tuesday:
To simplify our reporting on the rapidly-changing EHV-1 virus outbreak at the Sunland Park Racetrack, we will update the list below regularly with the most current information. While the situation warrants, we will also e-mail blast this information as it is updated.
- Number of horses diagnosed positive for the EHV-1 virus to-date: 61
- Number of horses released today from the isolation barn: 3
- Number of exposed barns that have been returned to non-exposed status to-date: 6
- List of facilities within the quarantine perimeter:
- Sunland Park Racetrack, Frontera Training Center, Jovi, and Lazy S.
Biosecurity measures among horsemen and women are still necessary, such as taking temperatures twice a day, handwashing, washing/disinfecting anything a horse has touched or could touch, etc.
The article below is from the American Association of Equine Practioners in Q&A format providing lots of useful information regarding the EHV virus. We have also linked to the original press release and a February 1 overview, though the information above may be considered a later update..
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2019 Paulick Report.