A veterinarian in Iceland recently told Iceland Magazine that an incident from a few years ago convinced her that horses and humans may have a common reaction to marijuana exposure: hunger.
A few years ago, veterinarians with the Icelandic Food and Veterinary Authority were tasked watching a group of Icelandic horses because they were shivering and acting oddly, but were eating well. The horses were disoriented and were walking bizarrely, so veterinarians were concerned that they had some form of neurologic disorder, though the horses did not appear ill and had no fever.
Mia Hellsten, a veterinarian in Iceland, contacted The American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP) to ask for assistance in diagnosing the horses; the organization ran video of the horses in an open forum and discussed their symptoms. The vets had lots of theories, but one veterinarian in particular said that the horses were acting similarly to a dog he had in his clinic who had ingested marijuana.
The vets in Iceland then drug tested the horses for cannabis—and the tests came back positive. Though the horses were quite stoned, it is unclear how much weed they ate; it was assumed that they got into some cannabis waste from a greenhouse near their stable.
None of the horses had any permanent damage from ingesting the plant and their appetite never faltered.
Read more in Iceland Magazine.
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2020 Paulick Report.