This Saturday, May 23, 2020, Santa Anita will present the Daytona Stakes (G3T), a 5-1/2-furlong race on the turf, as part of their nine-race program.
Named for a resident at Old Friends, the Thoroughbred Retirement facility based in Georgetown, KY., the Daytona Stakes pays tribute to the six-time graded stakes winner whose career earnings totaled nearly $1 million. Overall, the son of Indian Ridge, bred by the Irish National Stud, scored 8 wins, 2 seconds and 3 thirds in 18 career starts.
Check out Daytona's 2007 GR1 Hollywood Derby win, where he faced off against fellow Old Friends retiree NoBiz Like ShoBiz.
In 2008 Daytona started in the Breeders' Cup Mile at Oak Tree against the formidable Goldikova. Injured during the race, he finished 10th. It would be his final start.
The now 16-year old Daytona was retired to Old Friends in 2014.
Old Friends retiree and the namesake for the: Daytona Stakes (G3T)
Saturday, May 23, 2020, Santa Anita, $100,000
Race 5, Scheduled Post Time: 2:30 p.m.
4-year-old and up; 5-1/2 furlongs on the turf
April 21, 2004 in Ireland
Indian Ridge (IRE) – Kyka, Blushing John
Jeff Davenport, Tom Lenner, Jess Ravich, and Thomas W. Murray
Irish National Stud
18 starts: 8 wins, 2 seconds, 3 thirds, $991,690
Dan L. Hendricks
Path to Old Friends
Jocelyn Morgan of Ivy Green Farm in Lexington donated Daytona to Old Friends in 2014 after attempts at a second career failed.
* 2007, 3-year-old season 11 races: 5 wins, 7 seconds, 2 thirds, $551,390
* Top Finishes
– Broke his maiden in his third race, a Maiden Weight for Age at Lingfield on March 7.
Then came to the United States.
– Won his first race in the United States in his third outing on July 20 in an Allowance
Optional Claiming race at Delmar.
Then won three in a row
– Oak Tree Derby (G2T) on Oct. 13 at Oak Tree
– Hollywood Derby (G1T) on Nov. 25 at Hollywood Park.
– San Gabriel Handicap (G2T) on Dec .30 at Santa Anita
* 2008, 4-year-old season 7 races: 3 wins, 0 seconds, 1 third, $440,300
* Top Finishes
– Won his first race of the year, the Fair Grounds Handicap (G2), on Feb. 9 at
– Arcadia Handicap (G2T) on April 5 at Santa Anita
– Shoemaker Mile Stakes (G1T) on May 26 at Hollywood Park. This was his final win.
– Also placed 3rd in Mervin Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap (G2T), March 8 at Fair
Grounds, and 10th in the Breeders' Cup Mile (G1T) on Oct. 26 at Oak Tree.
* California Track Connections
– Daytona ran in 13 races in California: Delmar (4x, 1 win); Hollywood Park (5x, 2
wins), Oak Tree (2x, 1 win), and Santa Anita (2x, 2 wins).
– Del Mar, 2007: Allowance Optional Claiming.
– Hollywood Park, 2007: Hollywood Derby (G1); 2008: Shoemaker Mile (G3).
– Oak Tree, 2007: Oak Tree Derby (G2).
– Santa Anita, 2007: San Gabriel Handicap (G2); 2008: Arcadia Handicap (G2).
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2020 Paulick Report.