Decision on PPI #6 Nehro likely tomorrow
Edited Press Release
A decision on whether to start Kentucky Derby runner-up Nehro in Saturday’s Preakness or await the 143rd running of the Grade 1, $1 million Belmont Stakes on June 11 will most likely be made Monday morning, said owner Ahmad Zayat.
“I am leaving for Louisville in a few hours and I will be there to watch the horse breeze at Churchill Downs at 6 a.m. Monday,” said Zayat this morning. “Right now I am 70-30 to run in the Belmont and 50-50 to run in the Preakness. He’s had three good races in six weeks; if he goes in the Preakness it will be four races in eight weeks.
“However, he is doing very well. His coat, his energy level, his demeanor have all been excellent since the Derby,” he said of Nehro, who was second in both the Grade 2 Louisiana Derby and the Grade 1 Arkansas Derby. “After he breezes Monday I will sit down with [trainer] Steve Asmussen and make a decision as to where we go.”