Trainer Aidan O'Brien said on Saturday that last year's 2,000 Guineas and Epsom Derby winner Camelot may be retired.
Camelot was narrowly denied a chance to claim the first English Triple Crown since Nijinsky in 1970 when he narrowly lost the St Leger to Encke. After a disappointing effort in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, he suffered a severe bout of colic and has not seemed like himself since, as demonstrated by a fourth-place effort in his most recent start at Royal Ascot.
While O'Brien told the Daily Mail he is considering a run at Sandown on July 6, he is hesitant to take too many risks with a horse who has significant stud value.
“The spark was never there after his run in the Irish Derby last year,” said O'Brien.
The son of Montjeu's earnings fall just under $3 million for owners Derrick Smith, Mrs John Magnier and Michael Tabor. He is the reigning Irish Horse of the Year and European Champion Three-Year-Old Colt.
Read more at the Daily Mail
New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.
Copyright © 2017 Paulick Report.